Thursday, March 15, 2007

Beware the Ides of March

Two years ago today, Logan and I were married. It seems like it was just yesterday, while at the same time it feels like we’ve always been together. I wonder at what point that will change, or if it ever will.

In the summer of 2003, my family was moving to Cambridge. I wasn’t really feeling the whole “college” thing, so after some careful consideration, I decide to go with them. I wrote in my journal that I felt like there was a reason that I needed to move to Cambridge. I felt pretty strongly that I was going to meet someone that I would marry. Luckily, I totally forgot all this until I read it once Logan and I were engaged. I think if I had remembered I would have been even more hesitant to date anyone.

Logan and I met at church the first Sunday I was there. I was sitting by myself, and he came in late and sat next to me. I wish I could say that it was love at first sight or that the rest is history. The first time we hung out, we stayed out well into the morning just talking. This alone should have clued me in that this was something special. It typically took me a very long time to warm up to anyone. I had frustrated many a boy with my lack of talking. But there was something about Logan that made it feel so natural to talk to him. I was more comfortable with him than I had been with anyone I had ever met. I was still hesitant. I knew he was interested in me, but I didn’t quite feel the same way. We stayed at this weird limbo stage where we were more than just friends, but not really dating, for a while. One night, after being particularly hard to read, I frustrated Logan enough that he called me out on it. We didn’t part ways that night on the best of terms and it really bothered me. That’s what made me so frustrated. I didn’t think I cared about Logan, but it was clear that I did. I had a miserable day worrying that I had just ruined everything. Logan was pretty upset about the whole thing and had decided he was done with me. The next afternoon I sent him a very carefully worded text message and we ended up going to a party with a big group of friends that night. He ignored me most of the night and I was miserable. He finally cracked at the end of the night. Back then, I cared way more about looking cute than being warm, so I never wore thick enough coats. We were waiting forever for the bus and I was freezing. Logan put his arm around me to help warm me up. At his point, I think I can say that the rest is history. The next day he asked me out on our first “real” date and we were pretty much inseparable from that point on. (Other than that brief period when I decided to move back to Utah for a semester, but we don’t talk about that in this family.) I am so grateful that Logan patiently waited for me to have some sense knocked into me. Everyone else knew long before I did that we would get married.


The last two years of my life have been two of my best and I’m excited to see what the next ones have in store for us. Logan is a terrific husband and the best friend a girl could ask for. I can’t imagine my life without him by my side. As cheesy as it sounds, he really does help make me a better person. He has helped me be more confident and more comfortable with who I am. My life is so much better and happier with him. My grandmother (among other people) often tells me how much I have grown since being married. Every time I see her she tells me multiple times how happy she is that I have become who I am and how much Logan has impacted that process. Here’s photographic proof to help drive that point home:


Exhibit A: My Life Before Logan



Exhibit B: My Life After Logan


Logan really is a remarkable guy and I am so grateful that I am lucky enough to be his wife. Thanks for two wonderful years, sweetheart.

7 comments:

logan said...

I love you very much Wifey. Thanks so much for posting this little tribute, it was quite the lift to my frustrating (paper writing) morning. I especially like exhibits A and B. You've pretty much said it all here, I'm glad you help make me a better person (you've clearly got your work cut out for you). I can't wait for our date tonight. I hope your day goes well. I love you.

Ammon said...

awwww.

Happy Anniversary, i think your anniversary is the only one i'll ever remember (other than the parental's, which i remember for some reason)

If i remember correctly, wasn't it the college scene that wasn't feeling you? or i guess it's a little bit of both.

anna said...

Happy Anniversary Logan and Kate. We are so happy you guys made it to 2 years and will be happier when you make it to 2 years and 1 day. I enjoyed the little story of Logan and Kate, but you left out the best part about Logan crying. Okay, the best part is you guys getting married, but you have to admit that Logan crying is a pretty funny image. Wow, that Katie Perkes - really cold. Have a wonderful date. We would offer to babysit, but you don't have kids. Maybe next year :)

Amy said...

Happy Anniversary Katie (and Logan). I also really enjoyed the exhibit A and B. I hope y'all have a great day.

Camilla said...

I also wish you guys a happy anniversary! I never noticed until today how angry and unhappy you look in that picture- but that was a bad photo year for all of us, I have mine from that year too and it's pretty bad (no smile, frizzy hair)- I don't think that is an accurate representation of an "unhappy" childhood- I can remember many instances of you laughing so hard you almost peed your pants! And someday you will forgive me and Amy laughing at you when you broke your arm- that wasn't enough to make your whole childhood grim, was it? Love you, sis!

Kate said...

Cami, that was a very picture year for all three of us. And I must confess that it is pretty much the only picture I have where I look unhappy. So no, it doesn't really mean I had an unhappy childhood. Other than the nightmares I had about my sisters laughing at me when I got hurt.

Ammon said...

it's weird to tell people you didn't get into a college without sounding like you're fishing for sympathy.