Monday, March 26, 2007

Count Your Many Blessings

Last night Logan and I were discussing how spoiled we are. We have an apartment that we love and it feels like home. We have great relationships with all of our family members. We have friends and family close by who bless our life every day. I have a good job that allows us have a comfortable life even while Logan is in school. Sometimes I am taken aback when I realize that this really is my life. Some mornings when I’m walking to work among all the business men in suits, I just think about how cool it is that I take the train to work and get to be in an interesting part of downtown everyday. I love cities and love feeling like we’re living the urban life. We have it pretty great, but I still manage to find things to complain about or wish were better. I came across a quote from The Alchemist and really liked it. It says:


“When each day is the same as the next, it is because people fail to recognize the good things that happen in their lives every day that the sun rises.”

That is something I really wish I was better at. I have a tendency to get bogged down with my day to day life, but when I look at it realistically, I have no reason to complain. We are healthy and happy and have a great life. A life that I am extremely grateful for, but don’t express that gratitude often enough.

We are coming up on some changes in our life. Logan is about to graduate and either go to graduate school or get a "real" job. It is a little scary because we have been in this stage of our life for a while. But I'm looking forward to the new adventures life has in store for us. I have no doubt that whatever they may be, we will be happy. And that reassuring feeling is pretty great.

2 comments:

Ammon said...

The Alchemist is one of my favorite books. Also, everybody knows philosophers don't have real jobs.

Camilla said...

Weird- I just read the alchemist a couple weeks ago. Do you think we were ever reading the same page at the same time? I also thought it was pretty good. It sounds like you guys are doing great, I'm glad! You are the only family members I won't see in the next two weeks, unless you want to meet me in Mississippi? If not, I'll see you at the reunion, right?