Monday, March 31, 2008

Childbirth 101

On Saturday we attended our Childbirth Class. So now that I know everything there is to know about having a baby I’m TOTALLY ready. Just kidding. I honestly don’t feel any more ready than I did before the class. I learned a thing or two, but for the most part, it was stuff I already knew, or I felt like I could have figured out with a little common sense. Here are some highlights of the day:

  • We were the youngest couple there and it made me glad Logan has a beard right now or everyone would have thought it was a teen pregnancy.
  • I’m not sure we took it as seriously as all of our classmates. We spent a lot of the time laughing, so hopefully we’ll have as much fun during the real thing.
  • Three of the nine pregnant women there were named Kate, and another was Anna Kathryn (pretty much my name flipped) which is a little bit ridiculous.
  • We’re totally going to get Logan a tracksuit and whistle to wear during the birth, since they called the husbands “coach” the whole time. (This visualization did not help with the laughing fits I got when I was supposed to be pretending to have a baby.)
  • It was a little hard to identify with the couple in the video since they each weighted more than Logan and I combined and were pretty weird. But over all the video wasn’t as horrible for Logan as we anticipated it might be. (I think he actually said that it was “pretty cool.”)
  • I couldn’t remember my midwife’s last name, which was a little embarrassing when part of the introduction was to tell who your OB/Midwife is.
  • My pregnancy hasn’t been nearly as miserable as the average woman- when we were discussing some of the discomforts of pregnancy and the instructor would ask if anyone hasn’t had each discomfort, I stopped raising my hand after a few times because I didn’t want everyone to hate me.
  • We’re nowhere near as worried about having this baby as everyone else in the class was which made me feel good.
  • I can totally do this.

7 comments:

logan said...

Yes, you can do this. You've been doing great. Keep up the good work. You're an amazing woman, and you were made to do this, your body was made to give birth. Keep going, it'll be fine. I love you
-Coach

NelsonFam said...

Yea for confidence! What a funny experience. I have been looking at the classes but we haven't taken one yet and I had no idea what to expect so this was a good heads-up. Although did you really have to "pretend you were labor" that seems a little difficult to do(or extremely funny).

Dyami and I have been discussing Hypnobirthing philosophies on our weekly walks and it is all about relaxing and having confidence rather then fear - sounds like you are set up for success.

GOOD LUCK!

Cagney and Laci said...

I think it would be awesome if Logan has a jumpsuit and a whistle. That would rock.
I am excited to meet this little guy! I love feeling him in your tummy, I hope I didn't weird you out the other night by being so obsessed!

Kate said...

Laura- they made us pretend to have contractions (of various intensity) so that we could practice breathing and different positions that can help, and our coaches could practice coaching and being supportive. I took mine all in one day instead of several classes over a few weeks, and I think in classes that meet every week, you practice a lot more. I'm not sure the practicing did much, since you aren't feel any pain, so it is really nothing like the real thing. But I'm sure any infomation is helpful to get you ready.

Kara Camille said...

You can do this...and will be oh so soon! I liked your comment about being thankful Logan had a beard, or else you would have looked like a teen pregnancy couple. I totally feel like that sometimes.

Amberli said...

dude, everyone weighs more then you and logan combined! and yes you can totally do this!

Kelly and Kimberly said...

Oh my gosh. This made me laugh so hard. Kelly and I were cracking up the whole time and everyone hated us by the end, especially the teacher. Yikes.