Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Kid Tested, Mother Approved


At last, what you’ve all been waiting for. Here are some shots of our pretty much completed room for the baby. All that is missing is the baby himself and maybe some framed photographs or art work.  I’m so happy with the way it turned out. It is exactly how I imagined it in my head and I love going in there and looking around at all the things waiting for him to use. At my shower, my friend Amberli brought her baby Atticus in there and he loved it. It was reassuring to get the seal of approval from a real live baby. Hopefully our baby will like it as much as everyone else seems to. 

The color is closer to this picture than it is the the one below.  Logan did a great job painting- I love the color.  Here you can see the mobile that I found long before I was even pregnant and fell in love with.  It is one of my favorite parts about the room.  

We got a shelf that ended up being the wrong color, so Logan had the brilliant idea to cover it with the leftover fabric from the panel that we hung last year to cover up all the storage in there.  So a roll or two of double stick tape later, we got a really great looking shelf that I love. My friend Bonnie helped make these letters for decorations for the shower, and they look great.  Thanks Bonnie!  The plan is to frame some photos to put on the shelf.  


This is my old dresser than we stuck a changing pad on top to make a perfect changing table.  The top drawer is full of teeny tiny diapers that look way too small for any human being to wear.  I have an ottoman for my glider, but it makes the room a little crowded, so we'll see if I end up using it.  The glider is pretty cozy.  I've already fallen asleep in it a few times, and I'm not even a sleep deprived mother yet.  



This is hanging on the wall above the crib.  It is a poster from one of the many books my uncle Kevin Hawkes has illustrated.   I ordered a custom frame for it and LOVE the way it looks in the room.  There are so many little animals and fun things in the picture that I think it makes a perfect addition to a little boy's room.  I can't wait for him to be old enough to love looking at it and it makes it even that much cooler that it is from one of my very favorite uncles. 

Here's the fabric panel that we already had up.  It looks great with all the other decor.  Overall, I'm so so happy with how everything ended up.  It is such a perfect little room and I can't wait for our little son to use it.  The common consensus seems to be that it is "soothing" and I can't think of a better word to strive for in a baby's room.

4 comments:

Ammon said...

That is a way awesome baby room. When i get back from my mission and am in an apartment, i'll need you to come paint it crazy cool.

It'll be just like when you used to love doing my collages for me in middle school.

amelia said...

I wholeheartedly agree with you on soothing and wish more people did as well. If it were the case, there were wouldn't be so many "stimulating" baby room decorating mistakes like http://www.thefixchicks.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/IMG_3556.jpg . Soren is a lucky boy to be born to such aesthetically capable parents!

Amberli said...

awesome. i so love it. and i'm so happy that my little babe was the guinea pig and for sure gave it a thumbs up! can't wait for your little babe to love it too! it looks so great!

joette said...

Very zen! (And very Soren apparently right? He must be doing some serious meditation in his little cave!) Can't wait to hear that he's has finally arrived!