Sunday, August 10, 2008

Letters to Soren: Month Three



Dear Soren:

You've turned into a real boy this month.  It's as if all of a sudden, your body and brain just clicked and everything changed.  You seem like so much more of a person now that you have more control over your body. 


You can now use your hands like a pro.  You can grab anything you want and are constantly putting things  in your mouth. You will sit somewhere and play with a toy for several minutes, which doesn't sound that impressive, but any chunk of time that you will be independent is great.

You've started sucking your thumb.  You've been sucking on your fingers for a month or so, but it was usually just a coincidence that they ended up in your mouth.  But now you will deliberately bring your thumb up to your mouth when you need a little comfort.  You haven't quite figured out that it is more comfortable to make a fist when you're sucking, so you often poke yourself in the eye or scratch your face.  But you're working on it and I'm sure you'll be a master thumb sucker in no time.  You've just become so much more aware of your surroundings.  You look in the direction of noises and look around like you're just taking it all in. It has been so amazing to me to see everything start to work all of a sudden. 

You've fallen in love with your book.  It is the only inanimate object that makes you smile.  You get SO excited when you see it- your legs start going like crazy and you can't seem to contain yourself.  You love to look at the pictures and love even more to crunch it up and shove it in your face.  


Your dad got you to laugh for the first time the other day,  I heard it from the other room and it was about the cutest thing ever.  You've figured out sooner than I expected that your dad is the fun one.  I thought I had at least a few more months.  You always have tons of smiles for him when he gets home from work. You're still such a cheerful baby and smile all the time.  One of my favorite things is when you are eating and will just stop and gaze up at me and smile away. Once you've established that I am, indeed, still there and I smile at you for a few minutes, you get back to business.  You're quite the little charmer.  


These three months have flown by.  You're now a quarter of a year old and this time last year I was pregnant with you.  The last couple weeks I've almost missed when you were a teeny tiny baby.  When I see a newborn, I just can't believe how big you are.  But most of the time, I'm just thrilled that you are growing so well and developing like a champ.  It gets more fun each day as you get more and more interactive.  


Keep up the good work dude.  You make being a mom a blast.

Love,

Mom

No comments: