Sunday, December 21, 2008

Childhood: Veganized!


Yesterday I was thrilled to discover that I could very easily make a childhood favorite vegan and they taste exactly the same. These cookies were an essential on the Holiday baking line up and I love them.  They are not super sweet (but very, very delicious) so they are great for this time of year when I get sort of sick of all the super sweet desserts. 

Although we have yet to take The Vegan Plunge, I really enjoy the challenge of vegan baking. Anyone can bake cookies, but making cookies with no butter and eggs that taste just as delicious as their non-vegan counterparts is a whole different story. I made these cookies for two events and they were very well received by vegans and omnivores alike. Even if you're not vegan, the apple sauce that replaces the egg makes these practically heathy!  But you don't have to take my word for it...

Carrot Cookies with Orange Frosting

Ingredients:
3/4  cup sugar
1/2 cup shortening 
1/4 cup softened "butter" (I used Earth Balance, our non-dairy butter of choice)
1/4 cup apple sauce
1 cup carrots, grated and cooked 
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla

Orange Frosting:
2 Tbsp Earth Balance, softened
orange zest from one orange
2 Tbsp fresh orange juice
1 ½ cup powdered sugar


Directions:
Cream together sugar, shortening, and Earth Balance.   Mix in apple sauce.   Stir in carrots, flour, baking powder, salt and vanilla.   Drop by teaspoonfuls on cookie sheet.   Bake at 375 degrees for 12 –  15 minutes.   

To make the frosting, just mix all the ingredients together until smooth. Frost cookies while still warm so the frosting ends up more like a glaze. 

Note: I really enjoy cooking and I often get asked for vegetarian recipes, but haven't been cooking nearly as much since having Soren and miss it. In an attempt to encourage more cooking on my part,  I hope to make a weekly recipe a new feature of the blog. Stay tuned.

No comments: