Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Letters to Soren: Month Ten


Dear Soren:

Last night I had a Twilight Zone dream where you and I were stuck being the ages we are forever. When I woke up and reflected on the dream, I realized that it wouldn't be so bad. Of the stages you've been in, this one has been my favorite. I'm pretty content with the way things are going right now. I say all this with a HUGE knock on wood, but you are sleeping 12 hours every night, taking consistent naps, and as of a week ago, eating like a champ.

You are a skilled scooter and spend most of your days moving around the house in a scoot/crawl combo playing with everything in your path. You've figured out where all the interesting things are and just where you need to sit to open each cupboard. You are so patient as you try to figure out how things work. I love peeking at you doing your thing when you don't realize I'm watching.


My life has revolutionized now that you are so independent. It is so strange to be able to pretty much do everything I need to do each day. Not that I ever take advantage of this free time, but it is just nice to know that I can be doing anything I want. I did the math and I literally have watched two days worth of Law & Order over the last couple of months. I'm a little concerned that your first real words are going to be "In the criminal justice system" because you get SO excited when it starts. You look over at the screen with a huge goofy grin and then look over at me. Then you stop watching and keep playing, but for some reason as soon as you see those words on the screen and hear that voice you can't help yourself. But who can blame you, I pretty much have the same reaction.


As I said, until a week ago you were a pretty horrible eater. You refused to eat a single bite unless you had a toy in your hands to play with. You were constantly dropping your toys and so I'd spend half the time navigating the spoon around your hands and toy and the other half picking up toys. A week ago, you suddenly realized that it wasn't worth all this fuss and decided to just eat like a normal person. It was literally an overnight transformation and you haven't needed a toy once all week. Our life is so so much better now that we don't have to fight and bribe you to get a few bites down your throat. Thanks for getting on board.


I just can't believe that in two months you will be a year old. These last ten months have blown by. Every time I write one of these letters to you it seems like I just did one last week. You are changing so fast and getting more and more fun by the day. It is so fun to watch you learn and figure out how the world around you works. We've had a few warm days here and there and it has made me so excited for this summer when you and I can go on all sorts of adventures.


One of my favorite things you've starting doing lately is singing. If one of us sings and dances while holding you and then stops, you will move your body around and keep singing until we start up again. (It is enough to make two anti-dancers like your dad and me want to dance.) And when I sing to you to put you to sleep, you often will sing along with me. It is so sweet. I love looking down and seeing your cute little face smiling back at me while you sing along. You are such a funny and charming little boy. You have been blessed with a remarkable gift to make people happy. Your dad and I love you so much; when he gets home from work I love telling him all the funny things you did that day. You make being a mother a lot of fun and so much more rewarding than anything I've ever done.

Love,

Mom

3 comments:

Barry said...

Just say no to baby crack. I guess you have to have some pictures to embarrass Soren with once he's older.

Camilla said...

I can't believe he's almost 1! He still looks pretty alert.

I LOVE the picture of him laying on the floor. I was needing a new desktop background, thanks!

Linda said...

I always look forward to reading the letters to Soren. They are almost as charming as he is.