Thursday, March 12, 2009

Recipes: Black Bean Sweet Potato Enchiladas

I've made this recipe a few times in the last couple of months, and have wanted to post it but kept forgetting to take a picture. So I finally just gave up since it isn't that cool looking anyway. It just looks like enchiladas. It is really easy, cheap, and fast (other than the 30 minutes cooking time). I've assembled it a few hours in advance and just threw it in the oven and it turned out just the same. I made this for the missionaries last month and they were pleasantly surprised that vegetarian food could taste so good and even told someone that it was one of the best meals they've had here. The recipe called for cheese (which is rolled up with the bean mixture) but I have made it with and without and can't really tell the different so I now make it without. But feel free to add some when you're rolling them up if you so choose. I've added a recipe I got from Cooks Illustrated for Enchilada Sauce that I like, but use any recipe you like. Don't use a can. It's worth the 15 minutes it takes to make it yourself. Here's a link to an even easier one that is good too, but I like the CI one better. Soren loves the filling, so I just save some out for him and he goes to town. I've served this with Spanish Rice and it is works well.

Black Bean Sweet Potato Enchiladas
From our friend Erin

3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced in 1/2 inch pieces
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cups cooked black beans
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground cinnamon
8 flour tortillas

Saute sweet potatoes and onion in a large frying pan in olive oil just until onions are tender. Add 2 tablespoons water and cover, allowing the sweet potatoes to steam until tender, about 5 minutes. Add cumin and cinnamon and cook until fragrant. Add beans and cook until heated through. Divide bean mixture among the tortillas and roll up. Place in a 9 x 13 inch baking pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Smother with prepared enchilada sauce (see below). Cover pan with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Garnish with avocado, etc.

Enchilada Sauce
From Cooks Illustrated

1 medium onion , chopped fine
1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
3 medium cloves garlic , minced
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons sugar
2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
1 cup water

Combine the onion, oil, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large saucepan. Cover and cook over medium-low heat, stirring often, until the onions have softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in the garlic, chili powder, cumin, and sugar, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the tomato sauce and water, bring to a simmer, and cook until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.

1 comment:

CORY said...

Hi Kate,

I'm not sure if you remember me, but I'm a friend of Alinas. I stumbled upon your blog and found this recipe. I tried it and it is my new favorite!

Thanks for sharing:)

Cory Willey