Friday, May 22, 2009

A Not So Sad Goodbye

Last night, my Grandmother passed away.  She had a hard life,  but lived it all with a smile on her face.  I wish that I had memories of her when she was this beautiful and vibrant.  A few years after I was born, half of her face was paralyzed during a surgery.  My earliest memories of her are of being scared of her scratchy voice and eye that needed to be taped shut. I love this picture of her because it helps me relate to her in a way I was never able to while she was alive. Seeing her as a young and beaming mother makes me want to get to know her the way she was before a brain tumor changed everything about her.  I like to think that this is the way she looks now, finally free of the limits her aging body set for her. 

3 comments:

ellen said...

That is a really nice photo. :)

Cagney and Laci said...

Sorry to hear about your grandmother. She was a beautiful woman.

Bonnie said...

I just happened to "stumble"upon your blog from Ken and Jen's blog. I grew up across the street from your mom. I hadn't realized that your Grandma had passed away. I knew your grandma when your mom, Sherrie, and I were all young.

Lois was one of the kindest people I have ever known. She was a gentle soul. She was soft-spoken-- I don't remember her ever raising her voice or speaking unkindly. You are right to remember her as she is in the picture. She was a lovely woman. She had an incredible amount of adversity thrown at her, but the goodness of her heart is so evident in the children she raised.

Bonnie Mays