Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Salad Anyone?

CSA Week 1

Today we had our first pick up for our CSA from Red Fire Farm. Our friends Dan & Lisa signed up for a share, but then moved to Utah for the summer so we took it over. Luckily we like vegetables, but I'm still pretty sure we'll need to share some of this. Especially because we already have a head of lettuce, a big package of salad greens and a big thing of baby spinach in the fridge. It seems like its going to be a healthy, green summer and I'm looking forward to the challenge of cooking new things. (Logan doesn't believe me that I've never had a turnip.)

I had a lot of fun picking up our goods this afternoon. I went right when they opened up and almost everyone else there also had a kid or two with them. It was fun. I felt so proud as I walked down the street with bags of farm fresh produce hanging off the stroller. One week in and I'm already loving this.

5 comments:

Amy said...

Wow. Holy lettuce. You're so cute on the labeling. Let me know on the turnips, oh and the kale. I have not a clue on what to do with those.

Cagney and Laci said...

That is a whole lot of greens! Looks like you guys will not have a problem being regular this summer!

Lisa H. said...

i'm so glad you got to use it. i'm sure they'll start having other things as the season progresses. i'm jealous.

roasted turnips are good. i've also added them to soups. here are some other recipes from redfire's website: http://www.redfirefarm.com/recipes/index.html

J I L L A I R E said...

I have a great soup recipe that uses up lots of lettuce. You end up bledning it so it's super-creamy. I'll post it at www.family-bean.blogspot.com. I've got kale recipes, too!

Alia! said...

whoa baby. what a beautiful bountiful collection of greens you have! good luck! i don't think i've had a turnip either.