I'm in the process of redoing our living room and finally have some pictures of the progress. I bought a chair on Craigslist and attempted to reupholster it. I have never done anything like this and have average sewing skills at best. But I'd seen it done before and I figured with the power of the internet I can do anything. Here's what it looked like before I got my hands on it:
It actually wasn't that bad without the awesome arm and back covers, but I'm a restless mom with way more time than money so wanted to recover it. In hindsight, it was definitely an overly ambitious first project but what can you do. Here's how it turned out:
I'm happy with the results. There are some obvious mistakes, but they aren't that noticible unless you point them out or are really looking for them. I think the pictures make them look worse than they are in real life (or at least that's what I like to think). This also gives you a sneak peak at the new wall color. Our walls used to be orange. It was a fine color when I was working and we were only in our living room for an hour or so a day, but now that I'm home and spend the majority of my days in there, the orange was a little bit overwhelming. I was pretty much going crazy and so it needed to go. I forced the issue by picking out orange fabric for the chair. Once the chair was done there was no way I could leave the walls orange as well. (If you give a mouse a cookie...) I really like the new color. It is much more calming and I like that I kept some of the orange with the chair. I still have some finishing touches to do but will post photos once we get things up on the wall. And finally, since I know no one comes here for the furniture pictures, a shot of Soren on the chair:
He loves it and climbs on and off it through out the day. The other day he went and grabbed a book and climbed up and "read". It was just about the cutest thing ever. You can also see one of the pillows I made. More pillow shots in the big reveal.