Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Recipe: Chickpea Croquettes with Greek Salad Topping


This recipe is from Vegetarian Times, a magazine which I have been getting for a few years but have a bit of a love/hate relationship with. When I first subscribed I had just begun to get really interested in cooking and it was one of the few veg resources I had so I devoured each issue. But now I have much more cooking experience and many resources which I trust more, so find that I rarely see recipes that I'm interested in trying. I also get frustrated that they put in more ads and more articles and less recipes each month. However, this months issue had a few recipes that I thought looked good so I figured I'd give them a chance. I wasn't disappointed with this recipe. They are super easy, really tasty and are more hearty and filling than you'd think. You could leave out the cheese in the topping and these would be vegan.

Chickpea Croquettes with Greek Salad Topping
From Vegetarian Times, serves 4

TOPPING

1 cucumber, quartered and sliced (about 1 cup)
1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
2 green onions, chopped
2 Tbs. lemon juice
1 Tbs. olive oil
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese

CROQUETTES

1 cup chickpea flour
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 15-oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
4 green onions, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 Tbs. lemon juice
1 Tbs. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp)

To make Topping: Toss together cucumber, tomatoes, green onions, lemon juce, and olive oil in bowl. Gently stir in feta crumbles. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside.

To make Croquettes: Whisk together chickpea flour, cumin, chili powder, and salt in bowl. Whisk in 3/4 cup hot water. Stir in remaining ingredients, and season with salt and pepper. Coat nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Scoop 4 1/4-cup dollops of chickpea mixture into skillet, and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until golden. Flip with spatula, and cook 3 to 4 minutes more. Repeat with remaining chickpea mixture. Serve each croquette topped with 1/4 cup topping and serve.

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

This looks great. I knew I would like this recipe when I read (under Croquettes) that you 'wish' together the ingredients. That's just about how I cook- I wish together the ingredients and then I pour myself a bowl of cereal for dinner :)

Kate Wangsgard said...

Haha. Thanks Bonnie. Although I was tempted to leave it as "wish" for comedic effect, I fixed it.

Salmonfifteen said...

Just recently made them and they are awesome, BTW they do make Vegan feta and its pretty good. Its made by sunergia soyfoods.