Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Recipe: Southwestern Corn Pudding

I made this along with the Chili Cornmeal Crusted Tofu and it is so good. Is it sort of slightly mushy cornbread, but much, much better than that description makes it sounds. It is super flavorful and pretty easy to make. I only had a couple ears of corn so I did half fresh and half frozen and it worked well. You could probably use all frozen if you want, but don't use canned. Ever.


Southwestern Corn Pudding

from Veganomicon


2 tablespoons corn oil

4 cups fresh corn (about 6 ears)

1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced

2 jalapeƱos, chopped finely

1 cup coconut milk

1/4 cup cornstarch

1/2 cup cornmeal

2 tablespoons pure maple syrup

1 cup finely chopped scallions

1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon cayenne


Preheat the oven to 350°F and lightly grease an 8-inch square baking dish. Saute the corn, bell pepper, and jalapeƱos in a large skillet for 10 - 12 minutes, stirring occasionally, the corn should be very lightly browned. Meanwhile, stir together the cornstarch and coconut milk, until the cornstarch has mostly dissolved. When the corn and the peppers are ready, transfer 2 cups of them to a blender or food processor Add the coconut milk and cornstarch mixture, and pulse about 20 times, until the mixture is mostly pureed but not completely smooth. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and mix with the remaining corn, cornmeal, maple syrup, scallions, cilantro, salt, and cayenne. Pour the batter into a baking dish and bake for 40 minutes. Let cool for about 10 minutes before slicing and serving.

3 comments:

Dyami said...

You always make picture perfect dinners. If ever I do make something that includes a fancy plating, I feel so accomplished, it's just only once in a blue moon. Maybe I'll start cooking so I feel like I have fun projects each day- maybe. Till then, I'll just admire yours. You should start a vegan/ vegetarian cooking blog and cafe. Especially with you lovely cupcakes!

Kate Wangsgard said...

Dyami: I don't always make picture perfect dinners. I just always post pictures of the pretty ones. Usually my meals are pretty normal. I have a dream to open a vegan bakery, but I'm sure that will never happen. I don't think I'd enjoy it as much as just cooking for the fun of it.

Amy said...

Made this last night with frozen corn, jarred roasted red peppers (what was left) and supplemented with grated zucchini, squeezed of its excess liquid. We loved it! Thanks for the recipe, Kate.