Thursday, January 28, 2010

We'll Never Have to Work Again!


Every so often I have an inner debate about subjecting Soren to the evils of baby modeling. I even entered him in the GAP Casting Call last year and figured I could make the decision about whether I'd actually go for it if he was selected as a finalist. Luckily (and shockingly!) he was not picked so I didn't have to cross that bridge. I almost did it again this year but then realized that the grand prize was $1,000 in GAP clothes and it was sponsored by Disney so it seemed like a double whammy of corporate evils and not worth it. (If Soren ever makes it big in the modeling world, I'll probably regret posting that.) But lets face it, we're poor (although, now $837.55 richer!) and Soren is really, really ridiculously good looking. So when this month's issue of Parenting Magazine arrived in my mailbox claiming that we could win $125,000 in college savings if our child is selected for the LIVE! With Regis and Kelly's Beautiful Baby Search it seemed like it may be worth it. So, I got him in his cutest sweater and snapped a couple shots. Now I just have to decide (before tomorrow's deadline) if I'm willing to cross this bridge. Obviously, there's a pretty good chance that he won't win and all this inner turmoil about whether I can become That Mom (or maybe, whether I can admit that I already am That Mom...) will be for naught. But maybe this will launch his career and then he can become a cover baby for cloth diapers or organic baby lotion or something I wouldn't feel bad about getting behind. Or as Logan put it, "They need kids for models, might as well be ours." I'll keep you updated.

PS: In an effort to not be That Mom already, I resisted the urge to wait to post this until after the deadline so my friends with cute babies couldn't enter and steal the stage from Soren. So, you can enter your own adorable child here. But just know that if your baby wins and Soren doesn't, it won't be pretty...

Update: For those keeping score, I did enter his picture. They announce the finalists on March 1st and then there's a one day voting period to determine the winner. Don't hold your breath, but I'll let you know if we need to rally the troops so he can win the crown.

8 comments:

Bonnie said...

hah! This is too funny. Even if he did win, he doesn't have to be a baby model. Take the (scholarship) money and run! Or alternatively, you could pimp out your child to anyone who will pay for his photo so that you really don't have to work ever again. that would be awesome too. Can I be his agent?

Gwen said...

I don't know Kate. I think it is perfectly legitimate to have your child enter a contest for scholarship money. Or even model and you could save 90% of the money for college. I wish my family had done that with me, or even better, Andrew's family had done that for him (we weren't as cute as Soren though)! We'd have like $80K less in student loans right now!

J. B. Sorensen said...

The real question is when is Soren going to drop "Magnum" on us?

Just remember, Soren. Concentrate. Don't be distracted by the beautiful celebrities. Do what you've been trained to do... AND KILL THE MALAYSIAN PRIME MINISTER!!

Rich and Leslie...and JOnas said...

Totally do it! I've seen the little section that they have in the front of "adorable" kids, and Soren is way cuter.

ellen said...

That's a great photo! I hope he wins something!

Linda Perkes said...

He is so adorable! I definitely think you should enter the photo. If this is like many other photo contests, the readers vote to choose the finalists, so keep us posted on when and how to vote!

Kara Camille said...

I'm glad you did it! Be sure to let us know when he wins. My mom actually told me about this same contest and insisted I enter Nixon...but we didn't get around to it--so we're all for Soren now.

Kristen said...

I will say, Soren is one cute kid! I think he would be a great model. I just booked kailah with an agency here in la and it's not as hard as you think especially when your kid is so adorable! I just did a post about it so check it out and let me know if u have any questions or need help getting started. :)