Monday, February 8, 2010

Recipe: Quinoa and Black Beans

I got this recipe from my friend Jhordan who got it from allrecipies.com where it has almost 1,000 reviews and 4 1/2 stars. So even if you don't trust my food judgement, 931 other people all can't be wrong. It is super easy, delicious, and loaded with protein and fiber. After Jhordan made it for us, it became part of our regular rotation. We usually have it in burritos (with avocado/guac, lettuce and tomatoes) or as a salad (with the same toppings as burritos) with tortillas on the side. But it is also great just as is. This time I used white corn instead of yellow so you can't really see it in the photo, but it is in there, I swear.

Quinoa and Black Beans
Serves 6
  • 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
  • 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
  • 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 cup frozen corn kernels
  • 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

  • Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and saute until lightly browned. Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with vegetable broth. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes. Stir frozen corn into the saucepan, and continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through. Mix in the black beans and cilantro.

4 comments:

anna said...

I have actually made that recipe many times - we love it! Your picture is so pretty. I always forget to photograph food and then we've eaten it all.

J I L L A I R E said...

I think someone brought this exact recipe to our RS recipe exchange. Yummo.

gumpin said...

Aha--now I have something to make with that leftover box of quinoa from whn you last visited us.

Lisa H. said...

Referring back to this recipe all these years later :)