Monday, May 17, 2010

Recipe: Chickpea "Tuna" Sandwiches


I've been making this for a few years but I don't remember where I got the recipe. My memory is that I read something similar online and made this variation, but I could be wrong. Either way, it is a tasty and very quick lunch. It tastes surprisingly similar to tuna to me, but I haven't had tuna in about seven years so could be way off. I like making it with pickles and banana peppers, but have also done it with celery, bell peppers, and pretty much everything else. It's great on toasted bread with lettuce and tomato. You can also do it with a salad or on crackers. I precut the add-ins becuase the chickpeas get too mushy if you process it long enough to chop all the other things. It will keep in the fridge for a couple of days.

Chickpea Tuna
Serves 4

1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup mayo or your mayo-like product of choice
Diced pickles, banana peppers or anything else
salt and pepper

Combine chickpeas and mayo in a food processor and pulse a few times. Don't over do it, you do not want to puree it, just chop the majority of the chickpeas into smaller pieces. Add pickles and peppers and pulse once. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.

1 comment:

Gwen said...

this looks freaking delicious! did you know andrew is horribly allergic to tuna? but i love salad-sandwiches (egg, chicken, tuna, etc..). yum!