Monday, May 3, 2010

Critical Mass


On Friday we did Critical Mass. For those who don't know what that is, according to Wikipedia:
Critical Mass is a bicycling event typically held on the last Friday of every month in over 300 cities around the world. While the ride was originally founded in 1992 in San Francisco with the idea of drawing attention to how unfriendly the city was to cyclists, the leaderless structure of Critical Mass makes it impossible to assign it any one specific goal. In fact, the purpose of Critical Mass is not formalized beyond the direct action of meeting at a set location and time and traveling as a group through city or town streets on bikes
Logan has done it many times over the years we've lived here but I've always been too scared to join him. (Not to mention the fact that for the first few years of our marriage I insisted that I didn't know how to ride a bike.) So when I suggested that we should all do Critical Mass this month Logan was shocked and more than happy to oblige. I'm pretty sure that moment ranks up there with one of the happiest moments of his life.


If Logan's calculations are correct, we rode more than sixteen miles all over the city. Soren was a trooper in the trailer and was quite popular as one of the two children I saw. There were a few people pulling dogs in trailers, which I thought was a little weird and Logan thought it was making a mockery of those of us who were pulling human beings. I did have to set someone straight when I was riding a little bit behind Logan and heard a couple of guys near me saying that Logan had a dog in his trailer. I told them that no, it was in fact my actual human child and not a dog. I also heard another couple talk about how Soren was so cute that they were going to steal him so I made sure they knew that I was watching them.



It was a lot of fun and I'm sure we'll do it again. The last picture was stolen from our friends Peter and Eunice's blog, who joined us on the ride. You can find more pictures and some videos there too.

2 comments:

J I L L A I R E said...

Did Logan ACTUALLY believe you when you said you couldn't ride a bike? I have a friend who grew up in the Bronx and can't ride a bike. (Well, maybe he's learned since college. I'll have to ask.)

logan said...

Of course I didn't believe her, it's comedic effect my friend.

It was a spectacular ride, great weather, nice company and a fun time with the family. What could be better?