Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Recipe: Quinoa Chili

I got this great recipe from my friend Anna. It has been in our regular rotation for months now but I've forgotten to take a photograph every time I've made it. I like to do half kidney beans, half black beans. It is very easy, very tasty and very good for you. Like all chili, it is delicious with avocado, cilantro and scallions and even more delicious when served with corn bread.


Quinoa Chili


2 cans kidney beans, rinsed & drained (or whatever beans you like)

2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil

1 medium onion, chopped

2 teaspoon salt

1 green pepper, chopped

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 teaspoons cumin

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1/4 teaspoon cayenne

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

2/3 cup quinoa, rinsed in warm water

1 cup frozen corn

1 can tomato sauce (about 2 cups)

1 cup water


Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onions, and sauté until tender. Add salt, garlic, pepper and spices; sauté for 5-10 minutes. Add rinsed quinoa and stir in. Add corn, tomato sauce, and water to onion/quinoa mixture. Simmer together 20 minutes. Add beans to the pot and simmer another 15 minutes. Serve with sliced avocados, cilantro, scallions or whatever else you like to put on chili.

3 comments:

Aubrey said...

This looks good and I'm always looking for new ways to use quinoa.

J I L L A I R E said...

We made this last weekend and it was great! Damon says the cilantro on top really "makes" it. (No avocado for him.)

ellenbush said...

This was amazing! Gabe said "PLEASE SAVE THAT RECIPE!" thanks kate!