Monday, October 4, 2010

Recipe: Lentil Vegetable Soup


I got this recipe from my Aunt Sara a few years ago and have busted it out every year as soon as it is cool enough to warrant soup making. It is very filling and makes a ton of soup so I usually freeze some of it and it reheats quite well. But if you don't want to eat this all week and/or freeze some or share with friends, I'd suggest halving it. This time I made it with this bread (which I also got from an Aunt) and it was a wonderful duo. The recipe says to garnish with fresh parmesan cheese, which I usually do (as seen in the photo) but I think I actually like it more without. (And I wish I'd photographed it pre-cheese since it makes it look a little weird.) A perfect soup for these cold autumn days.

Lentil Vegetable Soup
Serves a whole lot of people

1 pound lentils
4 cups chopped yellow onions (3 large onions)
4 cups chopped leeks, white part only (2 leeks)
1 Tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)
¼ cup good olive oil, plus additional for drizzling on top
1 Tablespoon kosher salt
1½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 Tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
1 teaspoon ground cumin
3 cups medium-diced celery (8 stalks)
3 cups medium-diced carrots (4 to 6 carrots)
3 quarts vegetable stock
¼ cup tomato paste
2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar

In a large bowl, cover the lentils with boiling water and allow to sit for 15 minutes. Drain.

In a large stockpot on medium heat, sauté the onions, leeks, and garlic with the olive oil, salt, pepper, thyme, and cumin for 20 minutes, until the vegetables are translucent and very tender. Add the celery and carrots and sauté for 10 more minutes. Add the stock, tomato paste, and lentils. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for one hour, until the lentils are cooked through. Check the seasonings. Add the red wine vinegar and serve hot, drizzled with olive oil.

3 comments:

anna said...

I am excited to try this. It is even cold here in California (we're visiting my parents while Clarke spends his life working at the hospital). I love lentils and I love Kate Wangsgard approved recipes.

PS. I have been meat free since Thursday. Your other post was so inspiring.

Amberli said...

well well! just last night i decided to make something with lentils for dinner tonight and here it is! thanks for the recipe. clearly it's too hot here to warrant soup making but old habits die hard. soup making it is!

Jonina said...

I made this tonight, and it was delicious! I cook with lentils a fair bit, but they always turn out somewhat blah. Not so with this recipe. I'm sending it to my mother, too.