Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Recipe: Peanut Butter Brownies


Even though we're not totally vegan, I generally cook and post vegan recipes, especially baked goods. However, I have yet to make or eat a vegan brownie that is as good as a non-vegan one. Don't get me wrong, I am an avid supporter of vegan baking and I believe that almost everything thing can be made just as delicious as its non-vegan counterpart but I have yet to be convinced with brownies. Feel free to try to prove me wrong. So this recipe is shamelessly full of butter and eggs. And is delicious. Anyway, before the Vegan Police pick me up for a Veganity Violation, let me share this tasty recipe with you.

I wanted to make a special and delicious treat for my friend Bonnie's birthday so I combined this brownie recipe base with this peanut butter top and the end result was pretty amazing. I switched it up because the base recipe was one I had enough eggs to make, but I'm sure you could just make the entire peanut butter recipe. However, it was delicious my way and I haven't made the original peanut butter brownie recipe so can't vouch for it.

Peanut Butter Brownies

6 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for pan
6 ounces coarsely chopped good-quality semisweet chocolate
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch-process)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

For the Topping:

4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a buttered 8-inch square baking pan with foil or parchment paper, allowing 2 inches to hang over sides. Butter lining (excluding overhang); set pan aside. Put butter, chocolate, and cocoa in a heatproof medium bowl set over a pan of simmering water; stir until butter and chocolate are melted. Let cool slightly. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl; set aside. Put sugar, eggs, and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, and beat on medium speed until pale, about 4 minutes. Add chocolate mixture; beat until combined. Add flour mixture; beat, scraping down sides of bowl, until well incorporated. Pour batter into prepared pan; smooth top with a rubber spatula.

To make the filling, stir together butter, confectioners' sugar, peanut butter, salt, and vanilla in a bowl until smooth.

Pour the filling over the brownies and swirl around with a butter knife to incorporate the peanut butter (don't over mix).

Bake until a toothpick inserted into brownies (avoid center and edges) comes out with a few crumbs but is not wet, about 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool slightly in pan, about 15 minutes. Lift out brownies; let cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into squares.

3 comments:

Gwen said...

oh man those look delicious! not quite as good as shaw's supermarket cake, but still worth trying out...

love me some delicious brownie!!

Barry said...

So for a Vegan Violation you lose your telekinesis, right?

Bonnie said...

Those brownies were AMAZING! You can try out recipes like that on my anytime. Thanks again :)