Sunday, August 21, 2011

"Hey Smalls, you wanna s'more?"

One of Soren's favorite things we did in Utah was roasting marshmallows over a camp fire at the family reunion. He's never seen a camp fire in real life, but thanks to television, knew exactly what it was and that you have to roast marshmallows on sticks. So one night we kept him up super late to fulfill his little dreams and made his his first s'more and he hasn't stopped talking about it since. (Sorry for the night time cell phone photos)




Last week on a rainy afternoon, he wanted to pretend to have a campfire.  I wasn't sure how that was going to work, but used my magic mom powers to make one out of train tracks.  It luckily was up to his strict toddler standards. Things like this can very easily turn into major heartbreak if my made up creation isn't just what he had in mind. (Like a ninja turtle mask fiasco we had a few nights ago.) Of course, if you have a train track campfire with stuffed animal friends, you have to roast cotton ball marshmallows on chopsticks. 


He loved it. Until I took it WAY too far and popped a "marshmallow" into my mouth. He's not a big fan of fuzz and was pretty alarmed that I would even pretend to eat what was essentially a big ball of fuzz. Not cool mom, not cool.

Maybe one day we'll take our deprived little city mouse camping.

3 comments:

anna said...

You didn't bust out real marshmallows? That's what's not cool. But that is a pretty sweet campfire. Maybe you can go camping in Delaware now that it is so close.

Ps I was lOoking at all the Halloween decorations in my new Pottery Barn catalog and that got me excited for one thing: the Wangsgaard Halloween party costumes.

Linda Perkes said...

Nicely done! I hope when you do go camping, you won't have a skunk anywhere near your site.

Cagney and Laci said...

That is a very creative way to play smores. Impressive!