Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Cookbook Review: Appetite for Reduction



I'm going to try something new around here and do a cookbook review. I get asked for cookbook recommendations often and wrote about some of my favorites here. I love all those and turn to them on a regular basis, but I try to not get stuck in a rut and like to test out new recipes quite a bit. 

Recently I've been working my way through best-seller Isa Chandra Moskowitz's recent book, Appetite for Reduction. It is full of 125 low-fat vegan recipes. Believe me, I know when you hear low-fat vegan cooking it doesn't sound like delicious and satisfying food. But Appetite for Reduction delivers a great collection of recipes that are full of flavor and definitely satisfying. One thing I've loved about these recipes is that they are all fast, easy and perfect for normal, everyday meals that don't seem like low-fat "diet" food one bit. I've found that it is easy to add components to increase the calories and fat if you so desire, which is convenient when you are looking to cut back but the rest of your  family isn't. I like that I can make one meal that satisfies all of us, with minor tweaking to fit all of our needs. I can add things for the rest of my family instead of taking things out for myself so I don't feel like I am left with a less-delicious version of a good meal. Without fail, all the recipes I've tried have been great but some of my favorites have been Scallion Potato Pancakes, Chickpea Piccata, Black Bean, Zucchini & Olive Tacos, Tortilla Soup, and Curry Laksa. (I bet all of those recipes can be found with a little google sleuthing.) She also has a chapter explaining the wonderful go-to "bowl" which has long been one of my favorite ways to throw together a healthy and fast meal in no time. Grain + protein + veggie in a bowl, maybe with an easy sauce or dressing = instant meal. As with all of her cookbooks, she seems to focus on teaching you how to cook and prepare wholesome and delicious meals and all these recipes are simple and easy to adjust to fit your tastes or ingredients you happen to have on hand. 

So, if you like fast and filling meals that just happen to be really good for you, check out my new favorite cookbook, Appetite for Reduction. But you don't have to take my word for it...

2 comments:

logan said...

It's true, you don't have to take Kate's word for it. Her non-vegan, non-vegetarian mom got the book after Kate used some recipes at her house down on the Gulf Coast of MS. Not bad.

More vegan meals, the better! Thanks for the great food Katie-girl.

Barry said...

Butterfly in the sky...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ziw3nHCHEJw&feature=related