Thursday, September 8, 2011

Recipe: Pumpkin Cinnamon Chip Muffins


Too soon? I may be jumping the gun a little bit with fall baked goods but it's after Labor Day, has been chilly and rainy all week and I wore boots and a cardigan yesterday which in my head means time to bust out the pumpkin. These delicious muffins are a loose variation of one of my favorite muffin recipes from Vegan with a Vengeance. I tweaked it a little and made the amazing addition of cinnamon chips. They are like chocolate chips, but creamy and cinnamon-y instead. It took me multiple trips to several grocery stores before I found them at Stop and Shop for those of you who are local. I hear the Hershey ones are relatively easy to find but aren't as good as other more elusive and more expensive brands like King Arthur though the higher end brands are pretty easy to find online. I used the Hershey ones since that's what I found and could justify buying and was really happy with the results in something like this. I imagine they would also be really good mixed into oatmeal raisin cookies, cinnamon rolls, pancakes, or pretty much anything. If you can't find them, I've also made these muffins with chocolate chips, dried cranberries, nuts or nothing at all. Whatever you mix in, these are delicious and taste like fall. I use both milk and yogurt since I always have plain yogurt but you could use all milk (or all yogurt) depending on what you have on hand. It also should be noted that cinnamon chips aren't vegan and as far as I know, no vegan ones exist. So if you want these to be vegan use one of the other suggestions.

Pumpkin Cinnamon Chip Muffins
Makes 12 muffins

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/8 teaspoon allspice
1/8 teaspoon cloves
1 cup pureed pumpkin
1/4 cup milk 
1/4 cup plain yogurt 
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoons molasses
11/2 cup cinnamon chips (or chocolate chips, nuts, etc.)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a 12 muffin tins. Sift together flour, sugars, baking powder, salt and spices in a large bowl. In a small bowl whisk pumpkin, milk, yogurt, oil and molasses. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until just combined and no flour spots remain. Do not over mix. Fold in the cinnamon chips. Fill the muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes then transfer muffins to a rack until cool enough to eat.

2 comments:

Misty said...

Hi Kate! There is a place just past Idaho Falls called Prepared Pantry. They have cinnamon chips there in big bags and we love them! They also have "mini" cinnamon chips which work great in muffins and cookies. You can find them at preparedpantry.com~ or if you would like/need I can get you some and mail them to you. Hope all is well for you~ happy fall! Misty

Powell Family said...

These sound rediculously good! I am going to attempt them and add chocolate chips! Thanks for sharing.

-Kristin Ammon Powell