Sunday, January 1, 2012

Since I'm not sure what else to do with this list...

In an effort to encourage myself to read more books in 2011, I had a completely ridiculous goal to read as many books and as movies I watched. I soon realized that how unlikely that was, but kept track of the year's books and movies all the same. I watched just over 2 movies for every book I read, which I guess isn't so bad when you think about it. Though I didn't count any TV I watched (other than movies on TV) but we watched a few complete TV series in 2011 (Modern Family, Battlestar Galactica, The IT Crowd, Avatar...) so my screen to book ratio is way, way worse than this makes it seem. I chose not to count any of the kids movies (or books for that matter) of 2011, but I'd be curious (or maybe horrified) to know how that would change the balance.  Anyway,  here it is: 

Books of 2011:
Rebecca
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Room
The Girl Who Played With Fire
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest
The History of Love
Breaking Night
Eat Pray Love
The Walking People
The Poisonwood Bible
Olive Kitteridge
Play it As it Lays
The Time Travelers Wife
Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
The Curse of Chalion
The Gardner Heist
The Demon King
The Exiled Queen
A Study in Scarlet
Children of Men
Water for Elephants
Cinderella Ate My Daughter
The Grey Wolf Throne

Movies of 2011:
Inception
Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Pt. 1 (theater)
Knight & Day
An Education
Goal!
Roxanne
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
The Social Network
Tongan Ninja
Amelie
Inside Job
The Fighter
500 Days of Summer
Easy A
World’s Fastest Indian
The King’s Speech
Fever Pitch (1997 British version)
It’s Kind Of a Funny Story
I Love You, Man
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Looking for Eric
Super 8 (Theater)
X men first class (Theater)
Ghost Town
Sunshine Cleaning
The Assassination of Jessie James by the Coward Robert Ford
The Help (Theatre)
The Business of Being Born
Eat Pray Love
Crazy Stupid Love (Theatre)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt. 2 (Theatre)
Secret of Kells
Jane Eyre
The Time Travelers Wife
Waitress
Iron Man 2
Zombieland
True Grit (2010)
Invictus
True Grit (1969)
Fantastic Mr fox
Thor
Adventureland
Good Fellas
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
Morning Glory
District 9
Pelada
Fire in the Sky
Revolutionary Road

I'm trying to decide what arbitrary thing to keep track of in 2012. The current front runner is things Soren declares he wants to be for Halloween but I'm open to suggestions.

5 comments:

ellen said...

One year I kept track of how often I baked. :)

Ammon Perkes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ammon Perkes said...

I read A Study in Scarlet too! I had no idea mormons were so nefarious.

Amy said...

I'm almost done with Poisonwood Bible right now. I want, rather than just a list, which ones I should read next year, please. Especially since I didn't know what nefarious meant, so I need a list of books this long for the year.

Rachel. said...

I wish I could learn what you thought of all of those books, movies. You read many of the same books I either read this last year, or that I have loved for a long time, including History of Love, The Help, Time Traveler's Wife, Room, Eat Pray Love, Water for Elephants, etc. Did you like them? Which movies were your favorites?

I also would be very interested to know Soren's Halloween Dreams!