Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Very Hungry Caterpillar


Remember last year when we had a cat for two weeks? Well, we've smashed our pet record and had a one for three hours. Lisa's mom found a caterpillar and gave it to Soren, who was THRILLED to finally have a pet. He went on and on about how he's always wanted a pet and was so excited to take care of it. With Lisa's help, he put it in a cup with some leaves all the while talking about how he couldn't wait for it to turn into a butterfly. The little I know about caterpillars told me that this wasn't going to happen and decided the pet had to go before Soren got too attached. So we managed to convince him that his pet would be happier outside and he released it into the wild with no protest or tears. He even bravely decided he wanted to put it on his hand for the trip outside. (Earlier he was too nervous to touch it.)

Now that he had a taste of pet ownership, he's sure he needs a pet but hasn't quite decided what that should be. I have vetoed most of his suggestions but he's set on figuring out the perfect pet. I think I should encourage him to take in an imaginary dog like my bother Ammon had for several years because, sadly, I'm pretty sure that's the closet he's going to get to a pet. As Daffy Duck once said  "Pets are for people who have no hope of ever finding another person that will love them." (Just kidding friends with pets. Sort of.) 

3 comments:

Lisa H. said...

I'm so glad you decided to set it free. I'm not going to lie, I was worried about it dying on him and, therefore, traumatizing him.

Jillaire said...

We have a butterfly pavilion where we ordered some caterpillars that came in special cups. Once they made cocoons we transferred them to the pavilion (looks like one of those collapsible laundry hampers, but with a zipper lid) and were able to see them become butterflies! We actually only saw one emerge, but the whole thing was really cool. We kept them for about a week and then released the butterflies before they could die. Very cool experience with the kiddos. It's a short-term "pet" experience and learning opportunity.

Barry said...

I'm glad you got rid of him early. If you keep a caterpillar until Saturday, they'll eat through one piece of chocolate cake, one pickle, one ice cream cone, one slice of swiss cheese, one piece of salami, one slice of cherry pie, one cupcake, and one slice of watermelon. That's a lot of food for a pet that's a bug.