Tuesday, June 12, 2012

"Work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger"



The least embarrassing of dozens of sneaky (and luckily blurry) photos Soren took of me the other day while I worked out and he played with Logan's tablet 

I recently had the strange, but surprisingly happy, realization that I have become one of those people. The kind of person that I could never before relate to. The kind of person who I would look at and think there surely was something wrong with them. The kind of person who NEEDS to exercise to function.

I've been trying to exercise consistently over the last few years, but over the last several months I've made exercise a priority, which meant I decided to wake up at the crack of dawn to go to the gym before Logan leaves for work. I am not a morning person. Nor am I an exercise person. So the idea that I'd voluntarily combine two of my least favorite things every morning sounded crazy. But I realized that in order for me to exercise consistently and develop long-term habits, this was the only time that worked for our schedule. So I did it. Maybe it was just simple math - two negatives make a positive, right? I don't know what it was, but something clicked and I have suddenly found myself needing to exercise every day in order to function. I need to work my body hard enough that sweat flies off me like a cartoon character. It's a strange feeling for me to crave exercise and I think, for me, everything changed when I shifted the way I thought of exercise. Instead of seeing it as an unpleasant but necessary task I had to do if I wanted to be thinner, I started to tell myself that I was exercising so that I was stronger and healthier. I stopped exercising with a target weight or size in mind and started excising for my own mental and physical health. And for me, right now, this worked. This doesn't mean that I happily leap out of bed when my alarm goes off each morning. It just means I know my day will go better if I force myself out of bed and to the gym, which most mornings is enough to get me moving. 

4 comments:

ellen said...

Good for you!

Linda Perkes said...

I admire you for many things. This is another reason! Well done.

Ammon Perkes said...

So we, the siblings, are sort of in awesome shape, between mud runs, and bike races, and 10k's and what not (which here means purple pad dancercise). We should probably be fighting crime or something.

Kate said...

Ammon, I'll have you know I am doing Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred in this photo NOT "purple pad dancercise". You should know me better than that. And who's to say some of us aren't already flighting crime? Why do you think all the sisters just happened to be in Mississippi at the same time?